Friday, November 16, 2007

Week 9 : Exercise 1 : Thing 1 - YouTube



Kiwi! by Dony Permedi

I chose this animation because it's cute - it's a nice image of a bird, (a people) that strives and spends its whole life to achieve a moment it has only dreamed of. I was working on a selection of short films last year for a festival that never got off the ground. This was going to be one of the main animations... so putting it on here is my way of having my own little festival!

This is the most popular animation of all time on YouTube*. Surprisingly, the animator actually didn't know much about kiwis when he made the film, and hadn't been to NZ. There's an interview here.

I think the graphical interface of YouTube would translate well into a library search - if there were two views: list view and cover view. List view would be the normal list of titles, and cover view would be a grid of front-cover images with titles beneath. This would feel more accessible for the Web savvy (often younger patrons), who are used to making decisions based on a combination of data, including sound and graphic information, rather than just text. I don't think a cover view would be great for mining through a lot of titles, but more suited to patrons who wanted to explore visually.

This would be great for exploring books in the format that YouTube allows - by applying limits such as: browse "most viewed", from "this year", category "sports" - and it pops up with those books. I think the key here is that - like YouTube - some people aren't searching for books, they just want to see what they find. With an interface like this, we make this possible without requiring any search query.

The other thing that stands out to me on YouTube is how I always spend more time on there than I intended. The sole reason for this is the recommendations that come up when I view a video. After watching the initial one, another catches my eye, and I end up caught in a chain of hypnotic squares of video frames. Amazon's website works in a similar way - "other people who bought this, also bought: ..." and has the same effect on me, though I've never actually bought anything!

Perhaps the emphasis though should not be on the ability to keep patrons on the website for longer, but to allow them to search laterally, making connections that they wouldn't normally find.

*there is another video in the category with more views, but it isn't an animation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well I came to your festival and enjoyed the movie..thanks for sharing this